Place:


West Putford  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Putford like this:

PUTFORD (West), a village and a parish in Bideford district, Devon. The village stands on the river Torridge, 9½ miles S W of Bideford r. station; and issmall and scattered. The parish contains also the hamlets of Colscott, Thriverdon, and Wed field. Post-town, Holsworthy, North Devon. Acres, 2, 620. ...


Real property, £1, 765. Pop., 362. Houses, 75. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to W. May, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £186.* Patron, the Rev. J. L. May. The church iscruciform, and has a W tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bible Christians.

West Putford through time

West Putford is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Putford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Putford, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5595

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Putford ".