Place:


Bishopstone  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bishopstone like this:

BISHOPSTONE, a parish in Weobly district, Hereford; near the river Wye, and the Hereford and Brecon railway, 7 miles WNW of Hereford. It has a post office under Hereford. Acres, 776. Real property, £1,518. Pop., 288. Houses, 67. The property is divided among a few. A fine tesselated pavement and other Roman remains have been found. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford; and till 1865 was united with Yazor. Value, £180.* Patron, Rev. G. H. Davenport. The church is ancient and cruciform; was recently restored; and contains several beautiful monuments. Charities, £49.

Bishopstone through time

Bishopstone is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bishopstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bishopstone in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5565

Date accessed: 10th April 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bishopstone ".