Place:


Hope under Dinmore  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hope under Dinmore like this:

HOPE-UNDER-DINMORE, a village and a parish in Leominster district, Hereford. The village stands under Dinmore Hill, near the river Lug, and near the Dinmore station of the Hereford and Shrewsbury railway, 4¼ miles S by E of Leominster. -The parish is sometimes called Hope-Hampton; and its post town is Leominster. ...


Acres, 3, 796. Real property, £3, 779. Pop., 662. Houses, 134. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Hampton Court, belongs to John Arkwright, Esq. See Hampton Court. A preceptory of Knights Templars was on Dinmore Hill, and has left some vestiges. A tunnel of the Hereford and Shrewsbury railway, 1, 100 yards long, goes through Dinmore Hill. There are petrifying springs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £133 * Patron, John H. Arkwright, Esq. The church is modern, with a tower; and contains tombs of the Coningsbys. There are a national school, a free school, and charities £4.

Hope under Dinmore through time

Hope under Dinmore is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hope under Dinmore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hope under Dinmore in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5562

Date accessed: 27th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hope under Dinmore ".