Place:


Killamarsh  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Killamarsh like this:

KILLAMARSH, a village and a parish in Chesterfield district, Derby. The village stands on the Chesterfield canal, near the boundary with Yorkshire, 2 miles NE of Eckington r. station, and 8½ NE of Chesterfield; was known at Domesday as Chinewoldemarese; and has a post office under Chesterfield. ...


The parish comprises 1, 646 acres. Real property, £4, 810; of which £460 are in mines, and £20 in iron works. Pop., 1, 053. Houses, 224. The manor belongs to Chandos Pole, Esq. There are brick fields and chemical works. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £200.* Patron, the Crown. The church is partly ancient, partly recent; and has a Norman arch in the S porch, and a tower. There are an endowed school, with £22 a year, and other charities with £69.

Killamarsh through time

Killamarsh is now part of North East Derbyshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North East Derbyshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Killamarsh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Killamarsh in North East Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5556

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Killamarsh ".