Place:


Buckland Brewer  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Buckland Brewer like this:

BUCKLAND-BREWER, a village and a parish in Bideford district, Devon. The village stands 3 miles from the coast, and 4½ SSW of Bideford r. station; and has a post office under Bideford. It was formerly a market town; and it still has fairs on Whit-Tuesday and 2 Nov. The parish contains also the hamlets of Tythacott, Bilsford, and Galsworthy. ...


Acres, 6,157. Real property, £4,056. Pop., 922. Houses, 178. The property is divided among three. The manor belonged, in the time of Henry III., to the Brewers; and belongs now to the Rolle family. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacies of East Putford and Bulkworthy, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £244.* Patron, the Crown. The church is large and ancient; has a Norman door and a lofty tower; and contains many ancient monuments. There are chapels for Baptists and Bible Christians.

Buckland Brewer through time

Buckland Brewer is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Buckland Brewer itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Buckland Brewer, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5554

Date accessed: 17th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Buckland Brewer ".