Place:


Brightwell  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brightwell like this:

BRIGHTWELL, a parish in Wallingford district, Berks; near the river Thames and the Great Western railway, 2½ miles WNW of Wallingford r. station. and 3½E of Didcot. It has a post office under Wallingford. Acres, 2,024. Real property, £4,503. Pop., 703. Houses, 158. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belongs to the Bishop of Winchester. An ancient castle stood here; and was destroyed about the time of Henry II. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, 674.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church was repaired in 1858: and there are a national school, and charities £25. Godwin, author of a work on Jewish and Roman antiquities, Bernard, the astronomer, and Wintle, the orientalist, were rectors.

Brightwell through time

Brightwell is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brightwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brightwell, in South Oxfordshire and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5531

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brightwell ".