Place:


Llanfrechfa  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanfrechfa like this:

LLANVRECHVA, a parish of two divisions, lower and upper, in Pontypool district, Monmouth; on an affluent of the river Usk, 1¾ mile NE of Llantarnam r. station, and 2½ NNW of Caerleon. Post town, Caerleon, under Newport, Monmouth. Acres, 4,320. Real property of the lower div., £3,700. ...


Pop. in 1851,985; in 1861,933. Houses, 207. Real property of the upper div., £4,678; of which £1,000 are in mines, £62 in quarries, and £250 in railways. Pop. in 1851,1,517; in 1861,1,621. Houses, 296. The property is much subdivided. Woollen manufacture is carried on. The living is a vicarage united with the chapelry of Cumbrane, in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £85.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff. The church was reported in 1859 as not good. A national school was built in 1862. Charities, £5.

Llanfrechfa through time

Llanfrechfa is now part of Torfaen district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torfaen has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanfrechfa itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanfrechfa, in Torfaen and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5529

Date accessed: 20th April 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanfrechfa ".