Place:


Eythorne  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eythorne like this:

EYTHORN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Eastry district, Kent. The village stands on a pleasant spot, 1¾ mile NE of Shepherds-Well r. station, and 6½ NNW of Dover; commands a fine view of the surround-ing country to the sea; and has a post office under Sandwich. The parish comprises 1, 318 acres. ...


Real property, £2, 792. Pop., 461. Houses, 93. Eythorn House is a chief residence. There are some barrows. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £400.* Patron, alternately the Earl of Guildford and T. Papillon, Esq. The church is later English. There are a Baptist chapel, a grammar school, and charities £11.—The sub-district contains six parishes, and the greater part of another. Acres, 8, 639. Pop., 2, 158. Houses, 438.

Eythorne through time

Eythorne is now part of Dover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eythorne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eythorne, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5526

Date accessed: 21st April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Eythorne".