Clehonger  Herefordshire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clehonger like this:

CLEHONGER, a parish in the district and county of Hereford; on the river Wye, near the Hereford and Brecon and the Hereford and Abergavenny railways, 3 miles SW of Hereford. Post town, Hereford. Acres, 1,888. Real property, £3, 450. Pop., 451. Houses,-96. John Matthews the philanthropist and member of parliament, was lord of the manor; and his son and daughter were authors of the "Diary of an Invalid" and "Pomona or the Apple-Trees of Herefordshire. ...

" The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, not reported. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church is early English; consists of nave and chancel with a tower; and contains monuments of the Aubreys and the Matthewses. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, and charities £7.

Clehonger through time

Clehonger is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clehonger itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clehonger in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 15th April 2021

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clehonger ".