Place:


Weare Giffard  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Weare Giffard like this:

WEAR-GIFFORD, a parish, with a village, in Torrington district, Devon; on the river Torridge, 3 miles S by E of Bideford r. station. It has a post-office under Torrington, North Devon. Acres, 1,587. Real property, £2,375. Pop., 494. Houses, 102. The manor belonged to the Giffords; passed to the Denzells; and, with W.-G. ...


House, an interesting ancient mansion, belongs now to Earl Fortescue. There are several neat villas, and a small woollen manufactory. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £180.* Patron, Earl Fortescue. The church is plain. There are three Methodist chapels and an endowed British school.

Weare Giffard through time

Weare Giffard is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Weare Giffard itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Weare Giffard, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5511

Date accessed: 10th April 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Weare Giffard ".