Place:


Kirk Hallam  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirk Hallam like this:

HALLAM (KIRK), a township in Shardlow district, and a parish partly also in Belper district, Derbyshire. The township lies adjacent to the Erewash river, canal, and railway, and to the boundary with Notts, 2 miles SW of Ilkeston r. station, and 8 ENE of Derby. Acres, 727. Real property, £1, 077. ...


Pop., 101. Houses, 18. The parish includes also the township of Mapperley; and its post town is West Hallam, under Derby. Acres, 1, 699. Real property, £2, 633. Pop., 536. Houses, 108. The property of Kirk-Hallam township is all in one estate; and that of Mapperley is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £280. Patron, Lieut. Col. Newdigate. The church consists of nave and chancel, with porch and embattled tower; and was restored in 1860. There is a chapel of ease in Mapperley. There are also a Wesleyan chapel, and a national school.

Kirk Hallam through time

Kirk Hallam is now part of Erewash district. Click here for graphs and data of how Erewash has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirk Hallam itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirk Hallam, in Erewash and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5501

Date accessed: 06th June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirk Hallam ".