Place:


Newton Valence  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newton Valence like this:

NEWTON-VALENCE, a village and a parish in Alton district, Hants. The village stands 5 miles S of Alton r. station, and has a post-office under Alton. The parish contains also the hamlet of Noar-Hill, and comprises 2, 253 acres. Real property, £2, 482. Pop., 340. Houses, 71. The property is divided among a few. ...


The . manor, with Newton-Valence House, belongs to the Chawner family. Pelham is the residence of the Lemprieres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £512.* Patron, the Rev. A. N.Maclachlan. The church has an embattled tower, and was restored in 1867.

Newton Valence through time

Newton Valence is now part of East Hampshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hampshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newton Valence itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newton Valence in East Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5462

Date accessed: 31st May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newton Valence ".