Place:


Burton  Pembrokeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burton like this:

BURTON, a parish in the district and county of Pembroke; on Milford haven at Pembroke ferry, near New Milford r. station, 3 miles N of Pembroke. It includes the village of Houghton; and its Post Town is Pembroke. Acres, 3,815; of which 400 are water. Real property, £2,241. Pop., 1,029. Houses, 195. The property is divided among. a few. Benton Castle is a ruin, with a fine view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £202.* Patron, the Earl of Cawdor. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, and charities £8.

Burton through time

Burton is now part of Pembrokeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Pembrokeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burton in Pembrokeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5432

Date accessed: 18th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burton ".