Place:


Bamford  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bamford like this:

BAMFORD, a township-chapelry in Hathersage parish, Derby; on a head-stream of the river Derwent, in the Peak, 4½ miles ENE of Castleton, and 9 N of Bakewell r. station. Post Town, Hathersage under Sheffield. Acres, 1,456. Real property, £1,456. Pop., 377. Houses, 73. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. ...


Value, £100.* Patron, W.Moore, Esq The church was built in 1859, after designs by Mr. Butterfield; is in the decorated English style; consists of nave, north aisle, and chancel, with tower and spire 108 feet high; and has floor of encanstic tiles. There are a Methodist chapel and a national school.

Bamford through time

Bamford is now part of High Peak district. Click here for graphs and data of how High Peak has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bamford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bamford, in High Peak and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5399

Date accessed: 01st March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bamford ".