Place:


Nateby  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nateby like this:

NATEBY, a township in Kirkby-Stephen parish, Westmoreland; on the river Eden, 1½ mile S of Kirkby-Stephen. Acres, 2,075. Pop., 159. Houses, 29. The manor belonged to the Hastings, passed to the Whartons, and belongs now to the Earl of Lonsdale. A very finefall of the river Eden is here; and a lofty fell, called the Nine Standards, from stones erected on it to mark the boundary between Westmoreland and Yorkshire, is 2½ miles to the E.

Nateby through time

Nateby is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nateby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nateby, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5356

Date accessed: 26th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Nateby".