Place:


Stiffkey  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stiffkey like this:

STIFFKEY, a parish, with a village, in Walsingham district, Norfolk; on S. river to the coast, 3½ miles E by S of Wells r. station. It has a post-office under Wells, Norfolk. Acres, 3,912; of which 1,685 are water. Real property, £2,775. Pop., 513. Houses, 109. The property is divided among a few. Warborough Hilland Camping Hill were anciently entrenched. The living is a double rectory, united with Morston, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £687.* Patron, Marquis Townshend. There were two churches; and the one is in ruins,-the other old.

Stiffkey through time

Stiffkey is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stiffkey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stiffkey in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5344

Date accessed: 18th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stiffkey ".