Place:


Wretham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wretham like this:

WRETHAM (East and West), two parishes, with Stonebridge hamlet and a r. station, in Thetford district, Norfolk; on the Thetford and Watton railway, 5½ miles NNE of Thetford. Post town, Thetford. Acres, 6,442. Real property, £1,204 and £1,467. Pop., 257 and 207. Houses, 47 and 44. The manor, with W. Hall, belongs to W. Birch, Esq. The livings are conjoint rectories in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £547.* Patron, W. Birch, Esq. East W. church was rebuilt in 1865, and is in the decorated English style. West W. church is now a ruin. There is a school.

Wretham through time

Wretham is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wretham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wretham, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5337

Date accessed: 29th July 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wretham ".