Place:


Morton on the Hill  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Morton on the Hill like this:

MORTON-ON-THE-HILL, a parish, with a village, in St. Faith district, Norfolk; on the river Wensum, 5 miles SSE of Reepham, and 8 NW of Norwich r. station. Post town, Norwich. Acres, 977. Real pro. perty, £1,004. Pop., 149. Houses, 29. The property is divided between two. The manor, with Morton Hall, belongs to T. ...


T. Berney, Esq. The hall stands on a rising-ground, and commands a beautiful view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £180. * Patron, T. T. Berney, Esq. The church is ancient; was repaired in 1865; comprises nave and chancel, with S porch; and has a round tower, with octagonal top. Charities, £9.

Morton on the Hill through time

Morton on the Hill is now part of Broadland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Broadland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Morton on the Hill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Morton on the Hill, in Broadland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5331

Date accessed: 25th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Morton on the Hill".