Place:


Charlesworth  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Charlesworth like this:

CHARLESWORTH, a township and a chapelry in Glossop parish, Derby. The township lies on the river Etherow, near the High Peak, 1¼ mile SSW of Glossop r. station, and 8½ N of Chapel-en-le-Frith; and has a post office under Manchester. Pop., 1,565. Houses, 306. The chapelry is more extensive than the township; and was constituted in 1845. ...


Pop., 2,564. Houses, 508. The property is all in one estate. The inhabitants are chiefly cotton spinners and colliers. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £150.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is modern; and there are chapels for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists.

Charlesworth through time

Charlesworth is now part of High Peak district. Click here for graphs and data of how High Peak has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Charlesworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Charlesworth, in High Peak and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5292

Date accessed: 01st March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Charlesworth ".