Place:


Welcombe  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Welcombe like this:

WELLCOMBE, a parish in Bideford district, Devon; near the coast, 16 miles WSW of Bideford r. station. Post town, Stratton, Cornwall. Acres, 1,751. Real property, £1,155. Pop., 209. Houses, 45. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £71. Patron, Lord Clinton. The church was recently in bad condition. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Welcombe through time

Welcombe is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Welcombe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Welcombe, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5290

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Welcombe ".