Place:


Meshaw  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Meshaw like this:

MESHAW, a parish, with a village, in South Molton district, Devon; 5 miles SE by S of South Molton, and 8 NE of Eggesford r. station. Post town, South Molton, North Devon. Acres, 1,751. Real property, £1,191. Pop., 250. Houses, 55. The property is subdivided. The manor also is divided. Meshaw House, or Barton, was anciently the seat of the Courtenays, and is now a farm-house. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £197. Patron, the Rev. W. Karslake. The church was rebuilt in 1838; retains the tower of a previous edifice of 1691; consists of nave and chancel; and contains a memorial window to T. H. Karslake who fell at Sebastopol, and several monuments of the Courtenays. There are a chapel for Bible Christians and a national school.

Meshaw through time

Meshaw is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Meshaw itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Meshaw in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5275

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Meshaw ".