Place:


Kelly  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kelly like this:

KELLY, a parish in Tavistock district, Devon; near the river Tamar and the boundary with Cornwall, 3 miles SSE of Lifton r. station, and 6 SE by E of Launceston. Post town, Tavistock. Acres, 1, 721. Real property, £2, 414. Pop., 217. Houses, 42. The property, with Kelly House, belongs to A. ...


Kelly, Esq.; and has belonged to his family since the time of Henry II. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £266.* Patron, A. Kelly, Esq. The church is later English; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; has good ancient stained glass; and includes the mortuary chapel of the Kellys. There is a parochial school.

Kelly through time

Kelly is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kelly itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kelly in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5262

Date accessed: 13th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kelly ".