Place:


Drewsteignton  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Drewsteignton like this:

DREWSTEIGNTON, a parish in Okehampton district, Devon; on the river Teign, at the E side of Dartmoor, 4½ miles NNW of Moreton-Hampstead r. station, and 8½ SW by W of Crediton. It includes the hamlet of Teignholt; and its post town is Crockernwell, under Exeter. Acres, 6, 937. Real property, £7, 008. ...


Pop., 1, 067. Houses, 226. The property is much sub divided. The manor belonged, at Domesday, to Sheriff Baldwin; was held, in the time of Henry II., by Drogo or Drewe de Teignton; and passed to the D'Abernons and the Carews. The scenery along the Teign here is highly romantic; and various spots have a cromlech, a logan stone, two Druidical circles, some traces of the Via-Sacra or Druid-way, and an ancient British camp The name Drewsteignton has often been regarded as a corruption of "Druids' Town on the Teign;" but was really derived from Drewe de Teignton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £776.* Patrons, Messrs. Ponsford. The church is a good old interesting structure, with turreted tower.

Drewsteignton through time

Drewsteignton is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Drewsteignton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Drewsteignton in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5248

Date accessed: 10th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Drewsteignton ".