Place:


Doddiscombsleigh  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Doddiscombsleigh like this:

DODDISCOMBSLEIGH, a village and a parish in St. Thomas district, Devon. The village stands near the river Teign, 5 miles NNW of Chudleigh, and 5½ WSW of St. Thomas r. station; and has a post office under Newton-Abbot. The parish comprises 2, 391 acres. Real property, £2, 268. Pop., 343. ...


Houses, 71. The property is much subdivided. Manganese and jasper are found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £312.* Patron, the Rev. J. Buckingham. The church is ancient, with a square turreted tower; has some fine painted windows; and was recently in disrepair.

Doddiscombsleigh through time

Doddiscombsleigh is now part of Teignbridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Teignbridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Doddiscombsleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Doddiscombsleigh, in Teignbridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5246

Date accessed: 20th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Doddiscombsleigh".