Place:


Newton Solney  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newton Solney like this:

NEWTON-SOLNEY, a village and a parish in the district of Burton-upon-Trent, and county of Derby. The village stands on the river Trent at the boundary with Stafford, 1 mile S E of Egginton r. station, and 2¾ N E by N of Burton-upon-Trent; and has a post-office under Burton-upon-Trent. The parish comprises 1, 280 acres. ...


Real property, £3, 814: of which £100 are in fisheries. Pop. in 1851, 366; in 1861, 406. Houses, 90. The manor belongs to Sir H. Every, Bart. Newton Park is the seat of W. Worthington, Esq.; and Newton Mount, of J. Drewry, Esq. Bricks are made. The living is a donative in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £20. Patron, Sir H. Every, Bart. The church is ancient, and has a tower and spire.

Newton Solney through time

Newton Solney is now part of South Derbyshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Derbyshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newton Solney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newton Solney in South Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5242

Date accessed: 10th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newton Solney ".