Place:


Ludworth  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ludworth like this:

LUDWORTH, a township in Glossop parish, Derby; at the confluence of the rivers Etherow and Coyt, 5 miles SW of Glossop. It contains Marple, which has a postoffice under Stockport. Real property, £7,394; of which £1,906 are in mines. Pop. in 1851,1,578; in 1861, 1,640. Houses, 346. There are chapels for Independents, Primitive Methodists, and Roman Catholics; and the Roman Catholic one stands at Marple-Bridge, and was recently erected at the expense of Lord E. G. F. Howard.

Ludworth through time

Ludworth is now part of Stockport district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stockport has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ludworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ludworth, in Stockport and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5218

Date accessed: 30th March 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ludworth ".