Place:


Sudbury  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sudbury like this:

SUDBURY, a village and a parish, in Derbyshire, and a sub-district partly also in Staffordshire, but all in Uttoxeter district. The village stands near the North Staffordshire railway, 5 miles E by S of Uttoxeter; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office‡ under Derby. ...


The parish comprises 3,603 acres. Real property, £6,795. Pop., 587. Houses, 100. The manor, with S. Hall, belongs to Lord Vernon. The Hall is Tudor, and was the residence, in 1840-3, of the Dowager Queen Adelaide. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £747.* Patron, Lord Vernon. The church is ancient but good; and has a memorial window to G. E. Anson, Esq., put up in 1850 by Queen Victoria. There are a national school, and charities £27.—The sub-district includes three townships of Hanbury, and comprises 20,728 acres. Pop., 3,803. Houses, 771.

Sudbury through time

Sudbury is now part of Derbyshire Dales district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derbyshire Dales has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sudbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sudbury in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5206

Date accessed: 11th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sudbury ".