Place:


Bratton Fleming  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bratton Fleming like this:

BRATTON-FLEMING, a parish in Barnstaple district, Devon; on an affluent of the river Taw, 6 miles NE of Barnstaple r. station. Post Town, Sherwell, under Barnstaple. Acres, 5,845. Real property, £5,542. Pop., 686. Houses, 134. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the Fleming family; passed to the Dillons; and belongs now to Sir Arthur Chichester. ...


Part of the surface is hilly. Six standingstones occur at Nightascott, and are supposed to have been part of a Druidical circle. The parish is a meet for the North Devon hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £551.* Patron, Caius College, Cambridge. The church is perpendicular English; consists of nave, chancel, and north aisle, with a tower; and was restored in 1861. There is a small Baptist chapel.

Bratton Fleming through time

Bratton Fleming is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bratton Fleming itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bratton Fleming in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5202

Date accessed: 23rd January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bratton Fleming ".