Place:


Brassington  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brassington like this:

BRASSINGTON, a township-chapelry and a subdistrict, in the district of Ashborne, Derby. The chapelry is in Bradbourne parish; lies 4 miles W by N of Wirksworth, and 7 WSW of Cromford r. station; and has a post office under Wirksworth. Real property, £6,552. Pop., 718. Houses, 163. The property is subdivided. ...


Brassington Hall is a chief residence. Slate tiles, from a peculiar kind of grey clay, are manufactured. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £508.* Patron, the Rev. J. B. Littler. The church is partly Norman; and was repaired in 1858. There are three dissenting chapels, and a free school.- The subdistrict contains three parishes, parts of three others. and an extra-parochial tract. Pop., 4,470.

Brassington through time

Brassington is now part of Derbyshire Dales district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derbyshire Dales has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brassington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brassington in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5199

Date accessed: 29th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brassington ".