Place:


Fenny Bentley  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fenny Bentley like this:

BENTLEY (Fenny), a parish in Ashborne district, Derby; in Dovedale, 2½ miles N of Ashborne r. station. It has a post office under Ashborne. Acres, 1,036. Real property, £2,023. Pop., 305. Houses, 63. The manor belonged to the Beresfords and the Cottons; and belongs now to Sir W. Fitzherbert, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £124. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church was repaired in 1850, and contains a curious old monument of the Beresfords.

Fenny Bentley through time

Fenny Bentley is now part of Derbyshire Dales district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derbyshire Dales has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fenny Bentley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fenny Bentley in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5198

Date accessed: 25th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fenny Bentley ".