Place:


Duddo  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Duddo like this:

DUDDO, a township and a chapelry in Norham parish, Northumberland. The township lies 3 miles SSW of Norham r. station. Acres, 1, 651. Pop., 311. Houses, 56. Grindon-Rigg here was the scene of a victory by the English over the Scots in 1558; and it has some memorials of the battle, and a small Druidical circle and a barrow. The chapelry was constituted in 1866. Pop., about 1, 000. The living is a vicarage. Value, £340.* The church is good.

Duddo through time

Duddo is now part of Berwick upon Tweed district. Click here for graphs and data of how Berwick upon Tweed has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Duddo itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Duddo, in Berwick upon Tweed and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5187

Date accessed: 17th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Duddo ".