Place:


Morchard Bishop  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Morchard Bishop like this:

BISHOP-MORCHARD, or Morchard-Bishop, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Crediton district, Devon. The village stands 2¼ miles ENE of a station on the North Devon railway, called Morchard Road, and 6½ miles NW of Crediton; and has a post office‡ of the designation of Morchard-Bishop, North Devon; and a fair is held at it on the Monday after 9 Sept.—The parish includes also several small hamlets. ...


Acres, 7,088. Real property, £8,361. Pop., 1,658. Houses, 362. The property is subdivided. The manor formerly belonged to the Bishops of Exeter. Barton House is a fine edifice. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £533.* Patron, Rev. R. Bartholomew. The church consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with a tower; is a neat structure; was not long ago repaired; and contains several monuments. There are chapels for Independents and Bible Christians.-The subdistrict contains ten parishes. Acres, 27,659. Pop., 4,569. Houses, 964.

Morchard Bishop through time

Morchard Bishop is now part of Mid Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Morchard Bishop itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Morchard Bishop in Mid Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5186

Date accessed: 28th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Morchard Bishop ".