Place:


Brettenham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brettenham like this:

BRETTENHAM, a parish in Thetford district, Norfolk; on the Roman Peddar-way and the Little Ouse river, 1½ mile S of the Norfolk railway, and 3½ E of Thetford. Post Town, Thetford. Acres, 1,981. Real property, £884. Pop., 72. Houses, 11. The property is all in one estate, belonging to Sir W. B. Proctor, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £200. Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The ancient church was burnt in 1693; and is now an ivy-covered ruin. The present church is a small quadrangular structure, with square tower.

Brettenham through time

Brettenham is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brettenham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brettenham, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5162

Date accessed: 06th August 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brettenham ".