Place:


Wonston  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wonston like this:

WONSTON, a parish in Winchester district, Hants; 1¾ mile W of Mitcheldever r. station, and 6 N of Winchester. It contains Sutton-Scotney village, which has a post-office under Mitcheldever Station. Acres, 4,160. Real property, £7,132. Pop., 706. Houses, 150. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £967.* Patron, the Bishop of W. The church is modern. There is a national school.

Wonston through time

Wonston is now part of Winchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Winchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wonston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wonston, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5156

Date accessed: 16th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wonston ".