Place:


Houghton St Giles  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Houghton St Giles like this:

HOUGHTON-IN-THE-HOLE, or HOUGHTON-le-Dale, a parish in Walsingham district, Norfolk; on the river Stiffkey, and on the Norwich and Wells railway, 1 mile SSW of New Walsingham. Post town, New Walsingham, under Fakenham. Acres, 978. Real property, £1, 615. Pop., 191. Houses, 46. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belongs to Henry L. Warner, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £148. Patron, H. L. Warner, Esq. The church is decorated English, and has a fine E window, and remains of a carved screen. A small ancient chapel, on the W side of the parish, is supposed to have belonged to Walsingham abbey; and was converted into.a barn..

Houghton St Giles through time

Houghton St Giles is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Houghton St Giles itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Houghton St Giles in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5151

Date accessed: 30th March 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Houghton St Giles ".