Place:


Roydon  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Roydon like this:

ROYDON, a parish, with a village, in Guiltcross district, Norfolk; on the river Waveney, 2 miles W of Diss r. station. It has a post-office under Diss. Acres, 1, 329. Real property, £2, 904. Pop., 607. Houses, 123. The property is much subdivided. The manor of Roydon-Tufts belongs to Mr. S. Brook; and that of Gissinghall, with Roydon Hall, belongs to G. E. Frere, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £385.* Patron, the Right Hon J. H. Frere. The church was recently rebuilt. There are a free school, and charities £57.

Roydon through time

Roydon is now part of South Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Roydon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Roydon in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5137

Date accessed: 27th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Roydon ".