Place:


Wroxham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wroxham like this:

WROXHAM, a parish, with a village, in St. Faith district, Norfolk; on the river Bure, near the North Walsham railway, 7 miles NE of Norwich. Post town, Hoveton-St. Peter, under Norwich. Acres, 1,489. Real property, £2,666. Pop., 409. Houses, 86. The manor, with W. Hall, belongs to W. H. Trafford, Esq. ...


W. House is the seat of R. B. Humfrey, Esq. The Bure here forms a fine broad, well stocked with fish; and is crossed by a neat bridge. There are large malting establishments. The living is a vicarage, united with Sal house , in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £335.* Patron, W. H. Trafford, Esq. The church is plain, and has a lofty tower.

Wroxham through time

Wroxham is now part of Broadland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Broadland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wroxham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wroxham, in Broadland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5131

Date accessed: 27th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wroxham ".