Smallburgh  Norfolk


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Smallburgh like this:

SMALLBURGH, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Tunstead district, Norfolk. The village stands 5¼ miles SE of North Walsham r. station; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post-office under Norwich. The parish comprises 1,247 acres. Real property, £3,052. Pop. in 1861, 559; of whom 93 were in the Tunstead workhouse. ...

Houses, 112. The manor belongs to Sir J. H. Preston, Bart. New-Halland Holly House are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £430.* Patron, the Bishop of N. The church is old but good. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a village school, church charities £21, and a poors' allotment.—The sub-district contains 13 parishes. Acres, 16,999. Pop., 4,229. Houses, 1,002.

Smallburgh through time

Smallburgh is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Smallburgh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Smallburgh in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 08th May 2021

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Smallburgh ".