Place:


Stoke Climsland  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stoke Climsland like this:

STOKE-CLIMSLAND, a village and a parish in Launceston district, Cornwall. The village stands 3 miles N of Callington; and has a post-office under Callington, Cornwall, and a fair on 29 May. The parish includes six hamlets and a liberty, and comprises 8,732 acres. Real property, £8,697; of which £400 are in mines. ...


Pop., 2,554. Houses, 506. The manor belonged formerly to Tavistock and Launceston abbeys, and belongs now to the Duchy of Cornwall. Whiteford House is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £800.* Patron, the Prince of Wales. There are six dissenting chapels, two national schools, and charities £32.

Stoke Climsland through time

Stoke Climsland is now part of North Cornwall district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Cornwall has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stoke Climsland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stoke Climsland in North Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5113

Date accessed: 02nd July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stoke Climsland ".