Place:


Haddenham  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Haddenham like this:

HADDENHAM, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Ely district, Cambridge. The village stands in the fens, 3 miles N of the Old West river, and 6½ SW of Ely r. station; and has a post office under Ely. The parish includes also the hamlets of Aldreth and Hill Row. Acres, 8, 912. Real property, £20, 047. ...


Pop., 1, 976. Houses, 413. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged formerly to the priory of Rochester; and belongs now to the Earl of Hardwicke. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £235. Patron, the Archdeacon of Ely. The church stands on a slight acclivity; is about three centuries old; has a lofty spire, visible for many miles; and was in 1865 in disrepair. A new burial ground was formed in 1862. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, and two free schools with £74 and £38; and one of the schools was rebuilt by subscription in 1863. The subdistrict contains also two other parishes. Acres, 18, 085. Pop., 3, 998. Houses, 860.

Haddenham through time

Haddenham is now part of East Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Haddenham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Haddenham in East Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5082

Date accessed: 21st September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Haddenham ".