Place:


Carno  Montgomeryshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Carno like this:

CARNO, a river, a village, and a parish in Montgomeryshire. The river rises near the watershed with the Dyfi; and runs 9 miles south-eastward to the Severn, 2¼ miles N of Llandinam. The village stands on the river, adjacent to the Newtown and Macliynlleth railway, 10 miles W by N of Newtown; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Shrewsbury. ...


The parish comprises the townships of Derlwyn, Llysyn, and Trowscoed; and is in the district of Newtown. Acres, 10,982. Real property, £3,168. Pop., 969. Houses, 166. The property is much subdivided. Great part of the surface is mountainous. Remains of a Roman fortress, called Caer-Noddfa, are contiguous to the village; and vestiges of two castles are on a bill above AvonCerniog and on a spur of Allt-Mawr, both within a mile of the village. A battle, decisive of the sovereignty of North Wales, was fought, in 946, at the village; and another, of fierce character, with similar result, was fought, in 1077, on Mynydd-Carn. The living is vicarage in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £95. Patron, Sir W. W. Wynn, Bart. The church occupies the site of an old one of the Knights of St. John; and was built in 1807. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, Calvinistic Methodists, and Wesleyans.

Carno through time

Carno is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carno itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carno, in Powys and Montgomeryshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5076

Date accessed: 23rd September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carno ".