Place:


Melmerby  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Melmerby like this:

MELMERBY, a village and a parish in Penrith district, Cumberland. The village stands under the Crossfell range of mountains, 3½ miles NE of Langwath by, and 8½ NE of Penrith r. station; was formerly a markettown; and has a post office under Penrith, and fairs on 22 April and 28 Sept. ...


The parish comprises 4,496 acres. Real property, £2,499. Pop., 307. Houses, 58. The property is much subdivided. The manor and much of the land belong to the Rev. John Hall. Melmerby Hall is an ancient and chief residence. About 2,310 acres an unenclosed bill, or common. Melmerby fell has an altitude of 2,330 feet; and is crossed, near the summit, by the Maiden way. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £200.* Patron, the Rev. John Hall. The church is a red freestone edifice, with a tower; was restored in 1 849; and contains several ancient monunents. There is an endowed school.

Melmerby through time

Melmerby is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Melmerby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Melmerby, in Eden and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5073

Date accessed: 04th August 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Melmerby ".