Place:


Sunningwell  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sunningwell like this:

SUNNINGWELL, a parish, with part of Kennington township, in Abingdon-district, Berks; 2½ miles N of Abingdon r. station. Post town, Abingdon. Acres, 1,298. Real property, £1,906. Pop., 364. Houses, 78. The manor belongs to Sir G. Bowyer, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £319.* Patron, Sir G. Bowyer, Bart. The church was built by Bishop Jewell. There are an endowed school with £38 a year, and charities £18.

Sunningwell through time

Sunningwell is now part of Vale of White Horse district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale of White Horse has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sunningwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sunningwell, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5031

Date accessed: 05th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sunningwell ".