Place:


Mere  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mere like this:

MERE, a township, with a village, in Rostherne parish, Cheshire; 2½ miles NW of Knutsford. Acres, 2,438. Real property, £4,984. Pop., 556. Houses, 112. The manor, with Mere New Hall, belongs to T. J. L Brooke, E sq. The Hall is a fine edifice, in the Tudor style; and stands amid richly ornate grounds. A lake of about 50 acres is in front of the mansion, and gave origin to the name Mere. A chapel of ease is at Hoo-Green.

Mere through time

Mere is now part of Macclesfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Macclesfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mere itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mere, in Macclesfield and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5021

Date accessed: 24th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mere ".