Place:


Chilton  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chilton like this:

CHILTON, a parish in Wantage district, Berks; adjacent to Icknield-street and Blewberry plain, 3½ miles N of East Ilsley, and 4 S by E of Steventon r. station. It has a post office under Steventon, Berkshire. Acres, 415. Real property, £2, 229. Pop., 315. Houses, 51. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belonged to the Lattons; and the manor-house, now modernized, bears the name of Latton's Place. Many Roman antiquities have been found in the neighbourhood, on Hagbourn hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £400. Patron, G. Morland, Esq. The church is recent. Charities, £11.

Chilton through time

Chilton is now part of Vale of White Horse district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale of White Horse has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chilton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chilton, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5002

Date accessed: 26th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chilton ".