Place:


Llanfrothen  Merionethshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanfrothen like this:

LLANFROTHEN, a village and a parish in Festiniog district, Merioneth. The village stands near the river Traeth-Mawr, and near the Carnarvonshire railway, 6½ miles NNE of Harlech; and has a post office under Carnarvon. The parish comprises 7,355 acres of land, and 127 of water. Real property, £2,846; of which £20 are in quarries. ...


Pop., 830. Houses, 156. Much land was reclaimed from the sea, in 1810, by Maddocks of Tany ralt. Roma n relics have been found at Ynys-Gwyddel. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £115.* Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church is dedicated to St. Brothen. There are a Calvinistic Methodist chapel and a school.

Llanfrothen through time

Llanfrothen is now part of Gwynedd district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gwynedd has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanfrothen itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanfrothen, in Gwynedd and Merionethshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4996

Date accessed: 25th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanfrothen ".