Place:


Appleford  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Appleford like this:

APPLEFORD, a chapelry in Sutton-Courtney parish, Berks; on the river Thames and the Oxford branch rail way, 1 mile S of Culham r. station, and 3½ SE of Abing don. Post Town, Abingdon. Acres, 760. Real pro perty, £1,768. Pop., 288. Houses, 61. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy annexed to the vicarage of Sutton-Courtney, in the diocese of Oxford. The church is good; and there is a free school.

Appleford through time

Appleford is now part of Vale of White Horse district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale of White Horse has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Appleford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Appleford, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4994

Date accessed: 05th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Appleford ".