Place:


Odell  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Odell like this:

ODELL, a village and a parish in the district and county of Bedford. The village stands on the river Ouse, 1¼ mile E N E of Harrold, and 2½ W by S of Sharnbrook r. station; was originally called Woodhill, now corrupted into Odell; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Bedford. ...


The parish comprises 2, 980 acres. Real property, £3, 295. Pop. in 1851, 538; in 1861, 494. Houses, 100. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Alston, Esq. Odell Castle is the residence of G. Repton, Esq., and Lady Jane Repton; stands on an eminence, commanding a fine view; has extensive and tasteful pleasure-grounds; and succeeded an old seat of the Brays. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £396.* Patron,Alston, Esq. The church is later English, in good condition, overgrown with ivy; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with pinnacled tower; and contains a good old screen, and some monuments of the Alstons. There are national schools.

Odell through time

Odell is now part of Bedford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bedford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Odell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Odell, in Bedford and Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4988

Date accessed: 28th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Odell ".