Place:


Barrow  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barrow like this:

BARROW, a parish in Great Boughton district, Cheshire; on a stream which goes northward to the Mersey, 3½ miles S of Dunham r. station, and 5 ENE of Chester It includes the townships of Great Barrow and Little Barrow; and has fairs on 22 June and 22 Dec.: and its Post Town is Tarvin, under Chester. ...


Acres, 2,916. Real property, £4,951. Pop., 623. Houses, 118. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £263.* Patron, Lord H. Cholmondeley. The church is early English. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school built in 1865, and charities £9.

Barrow through time

Barrow is now part of Chester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barrow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barrow, in Chester and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4977

Date accessed: 25th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barrow ".