Place:


Hartlip  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hartlip like this:

HARTLIP, a village and a parish in Milton district, Kent. The village stands near Watling street and the North Kent railway, 2 miles SE of Rainham r. station, and 5½ ESE of Chatham; and has a post office under Sittingbourne. The parish comprises 1, 412 acres. Real property, £2, 723. ...


Pop., 319. Houses, 67. The property is divided among a few. Remains of Roman baths, attached to a Roman villa, in a field called Lower Danefield, were discovered about 1750, and laid open in 1848; and, at their first discovery, were found to contain many bushels of wheat, apparently scorched by fire. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £210.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The church is cruciform, and of the latter part of the 13th century; has a square Norman tower; was restored in 1865; and contains a handsome font. There are a chapel for Bible Christians, and an endowed school.

Hartlip through time

Hartlip is now part of Swale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hartlip itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hartlip, in Swale and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4975

Date accessed: 30th July 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hartlip ".